[Greylist-users] Technical paper from HP mentions Greylisting

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 14 13:29:17 PDT 2004

For those of you who are into anti-spam research, I was just notified of a
paper coming from HP Labs that mentions Greylisting in a semi-favorable
light.

However, the paper seems to also focus a decent amount of attention on the
perception that greylisting causes fairly high delay rate for non-spam.  But
the researchers came to that conclusion by including the delays from the
inital training period in their 69 day data set.

I've since pointed out to them that the actual good-mail-delayed rates is
probably significantly lower if they exclude the training period, and also
if there is a little judicious use of administrator whitelisting of known
good servers.

But the paper is still pretty interesting.  Here's the link:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-5R1.html

Evan