[Greylist-users] Greylisting with automatic IP address basedwhitelist

Scott Nelson scott at spamwolf.com
Mon Jun 21 09:50:28 PDT 2004

At 09:03 AM 6/21/04 +0100, you wrote:
>Scott Nelson (scott at spamwolf.com) said, in message
>    <aT5vaIe86J8qbrwan02 at x>:
>>
>> >My question is the reason why Greylisting does not use automatic IP
>> >address based whitelist.
>
>[...]
>
>> Better IMO, is to whitelist the IP if it's listening on port 25.
>
>Doesn't that mean that you immediately accept mail from open relays? I
>know you'd accept it eventually, but isn't the delay also supposed to
>give DNSBLs time to act and give you a second line of defence?

Well, I personally don't use a black list, but assuming that one did,
greylisting would only block spam that arrived one hour before the
relay was added to the black list.

Currently, there are no black lists that I trust where that hour would
make a significant difference.  There are some in the works (I'm working
on one myself) but /right now/ there aren't any.

Scott Nelson <scott at spamwolf.com>