[Greylist-users] Do I have to compile Exim?

William Blunn bill--greylist at blunn.org
Mon Mar 8 23:49:57 PST 2004

> >In my experience, greylisting via local_scan is broken, and it is
> > preferable to do it via an ACL hook.
>
> How exactly do I do that? I may be able to upgrade to Exim 4 by going
> with Debian "testing."

You can get good Exim 4.30 binary packages for Debian Woody.  See below.

> >Therefore the only compiling of Exim you should need to do is compiling
> > Exim 4 if your distro doesn't have a binary package, e.g. if you are
> > using Debian 3.0 (Woody).

Ah ha.  I have since discovered that this is not true.

The Debian maintainer for Exim 4 has made a backport package available for Woody.

This page

http://www.debianhowto.de/howtos/en/exim4/exim4_basic.html

just happens to say all about it.

I have installed this on my mail machine at home and it seems to work well.

I have gone with the "Debian tree of multiple configuration files" option,
rather than the "single monolithic configuration file" option.

It's a little more to get your head around, but it seems to be the "proper"
Debian way of doing things.

Bill