[Greylist-users] greylisting implementation

Bob Beck beck at bofh.cns.ualberta.ca
Wed Mar 31 10:54:33 PST 2004

> I am about to deploy a big installation with greylisting and sendmail
> (probably). I just wanted to know what greylisting implementation do you
> recommend me to use. I ask this because I think (maybe I am wrong) that
> the greylisting implementation made by Evan Harris is more focused in
> explaining the mechanism than in being functionality complete.

  We're using Evan's implementation here on a large mailserver for a
campus mailserver for about 65,000 id's. Bob Zeitz looks after it and
is lurking on this list somewhere and can probably speak to that. It's
working quite well for us, so it's probably a safe bet.

  We've also got some large mailservers for departments on campus
using a variety of other solutions too - OpenBSD spamd with
greylisting on the firewall, a custom Zmailer hack by one of our guys
here, as well as the Postfix recepie.  I believe the biggest ones for
volume are using either Evan's implementation, or OpenBSD spamd - my
biggest hit on the latter was last week when we used it to save a
postfix machine from a bounce bomb while keeping mail flowing - 1600
simultaneous mail connections... - seemed to handle it just fine.

   -Bob