[Greylist-users] Re: What could make the sendmail milter stopworking?

Morris Maynard morris at maynidea.com
Thu May 13 09:02:44 PDT 2004

I want to express my appreciation for the improvements presented in the
parent message. I have taken Philip's patches and incorporated them into
the 0.5 script along with Martin Walker's earlier patches. I have been
running the result for only about 24 hours so be warned. The resulting
script is at
  http://www.maynidea.com/sendmail/relaydelaypk.html

I have a couple of questions about all of the script versions out there.
Firstly, there are a couple of sections which, according to the
comments, purport to detect when a "non-SMTP-like mailer" is the source
of the incoming message. In these cases it PASSES the message with no
further checks. I do not understand the logic behind this. If the mailer
is not SMTP-compliant, is seems to me that it is an extremely likely
candidate to be a spammer. And indeed my own experience bears this out.
I have commented out those sections in my working versions, with no
apparent ill effect (i.e. all legitimate mail sent to my servers is
delivered AFAIK ;).

Secondly, the most recent version posted on puremagic is over six months
old. I don't want to whine, but... OK, just consider this a whine, OK?