[Greylist-users] My problem with greylisting

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Tue Sep 14 04:02:25 PDT 2004

I've installed greylisting (relaydelay) on a mailserver
with approx 200 users.

The biggest problem I see is that sometimes mails are lost.

We get fax'es and phone calls from people telling us that
they can't send mail to us.

When I look into the logfiles, the reason is one of:

1.	The sender's server does not retry at all
	after receiving the 451 error.
2.	It retries 2-3 times within a couple of
	minutes, then gives up.
3.	It retries every 24-48 hours for a couple
	of days, then gives up.

For 2 and 3, I've had to set $delay_mail_secs to
15 minutes, and $auto_record_life_secs to 50 hours,
however, this is not ideal.

For 1, I've had little luck in complaining to the sender's
mail administrator, as they "can send mails to
everyone else".

What do you do to address this problem?

Mogens
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk