[Greylist-users] SMTP server pools

Steven Grimm koreth-greylist at midwinter.com
Tue Sep 14 10:23:01 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 06:10:11PM +0100, William Blunn wrote:
> Could Spammers not set up valid SPF records that relate to servers they
> are sending from?

Yes, they could. What I envision is not that SPF automatically whitelists,
but rather that you'd have a whitelist entry that says "for aol.com mail,
accept any hosts that its SPF record says is allowed."

That is, I'd use SPF to eliminate the need to figure out which IP addresses
a big ISP uses as its mail-sending pool (and, more importantly, the need to
maintain that address list over time as the ISP changes its network). But
you'd still manually identify the ISPs in question, possibly with the help
of some kind of centralized database as is being discussed in another
thread on this mailing list.

-Steve