[Greylist-users] SMTP server pools

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 15 18:08:21 PDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Frank Bax wrote:

> A) I've had trouble posting (temp failures) for many days now (first try
> Sep7).  I know that my ISP uses SMTP server pools (Bell Nexxia / Bell
> Canada / Sympatico = 209.226.175/24).  For this message, I'm using dialup
> on a different ISP.

Sorry, the reason you were blocked was because of a manual blacklist entry
here, since we had recieved a large quantity of spam with no discernable
"real" mail from the 209.226.175/24 netblock.  I've unblocked them hoping it
won't happen again, but if it does, it'll go back in.  For the future, I
would suggest finding a less spam-friendly ISP.

> B) I've just gone live with greylisting (OpenBSD 3.5) and the first AOL
> email causes problems with SMTP server pool.  I got these on one message:
> 	64.12.138.204	-> imo-m14.mx.aol.com.
> 	205.188.144.208	-> imo-d22.mx.aol.com.
> 	205.188.157.38	-> imo-d06.mx.aol.com.
> 	205.188.157.39	-> imr-d01.mx.aol.com.
> Not even on the same subnet - has someone got a complete list?  The list
> from cvs.puremagic.com does not include one of these ip addresses.

As far as I know, my whitelist in cvs has them all, but if someone knows of
more, let me know and I'll add them.  I just added the one you had that I
didn't.

> C) I contacted a local ISP about their SMTP server pool.  Perhaps others
> will find this information useful, I suspect a complete list of ip's for
> this ISP might be difficult to determine using the typical "black box"
> approach.

I'll add the outgoing servers to my list.

Evan