[Greylist-users] Backup MX and forwards

Ed Mills EdMills at Alumni.Williams.edu
Wed Sep 22 14:04:12 PDT 2004

Lars,
	While it's not greylisting, RDNSBL is an option for you. (DNS
blacklisting: refusing mail by IP address from known spammers. There are
public lists of IPs available.) If you're interested, check out
www.vamsoft.com for ORFEE which will handle the relayed mail you refer to.
(about $100) I always put my phone number in the failure message. I've never
got a call from a spammer. I do have to whitelist some lists that I
subscribe to.

Good Luck,
	Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Clausen [mailto:lc at statsbiblioteket.dk]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 7:34 AM
To: greylist-users at lists.puremagic.com
Subject: [Greylist-users] Backup MX and forwards

Just jumping in to hear if greylisting is a hopeless idea for me.  My
situation is the following:

My current mail server raeder.dk is behind a backup MX system that my ISP
requires, blocking SMTP from all other hosts.  This is common in Denmark as
a measure to... decrease spam:(  This would make greylisting at my current
server impossible, yes?

The greater part of my spam comes through my UIUC address, which is
forwarded, most frequently through university servers (for @cs.uiuc.edu and
@uiuc.edu addresses) that send to a server I control, which then forwards to
raeder.dk.  While I could greylist on my own server, the forwarding through
university servers would make greylisting useless for those as well, right?

Posting this partly to allow other users with the same problems to find the
answers.

-Lars