[Greylist-users] SMTP/AUTH before greylist problem

William Blunn bill--greylist at tao-group.com
Wed Aug 3 03:15:25 PDT 2005

Christine Kuhlmey wrote:

> I'm running sendmail 8.12.10 with greylisting.
> We have the problem that SMTP/AUTHorized users do also get the
> greylist TEMPFAIL message, if the relay_ip:mail_fromm:rcpt_to triple
> does not exist in the database.
>
> Is there a way to allow ANY SMTP/AUTHorized user to send emails
> without being checked by relaydelay?
>
> Any help from you is greatly appreciated!

I had the same issue using Exim4 and Bagley.

Fortunately Exim4 is quite a bit more useful than Sendmail, and
configuring it so that authorized users were not greylisted was pretty easy.

This issue, per se, on its own, wouldn't be sufficient to warrant a
switch of MTA.

But it's symptomatic of the many many issues with Sendmail which are
fixed with modern MTAs. My preference is for Exim4, but you could
equally well use Postfix. Basically, anything but Sendmail.

I dropped Sendmail several years ago and pretty much as soon as I did I
was kicking myself that I hadn't done it years earlier.

Sendmail is a dinosaur. It's architecturally inflexible. Anyone who has
ever had any experience with a modern MTA wouldn't touch Sendmail with a
bargepole. It only survives because it's *still* the default on many
unices, despite having long been made redundant by good MTA software.

I'm not going to rant on anymore because (a) this isn't an MTA advocacy
list, and (b) people don't listen to advice like this, no matter how
good it is, unless they are paying consultant rates. If you *want* to
pay consultant rates, I'd be more than happy to take your money, but
you'll get exactly the same advice.

Bill
be legally privileged.  If you have received this e-mail and you are not
+44 118 901 2999 and then delete the e-mail from your system.  If you
are not a named addressee you must not copy, use, disclose, distribute,
print or rely on this e-mail.  Any views expressed in this e-mail or any
e-mail and any attachments for viruses.  Tao makes no representation or