[Greylist-users] Possible Enhancements

Steven Grimm koreth-greylist at midwinter.com
Tue Jan 25 10:40:12 PST 2005

James J Dempsey wrote:

>In this case, or in cases where the spammer simply uses "From:
>fill-in-the-blank at yahoo.com", this technique would completely  eliminate the
>effectiveness of greylisting.  Unless I'm not understanding your proposal properly.

I took the proposal to mean, check the MX record for the domain in
question, and let the mail through if the MX record contains the IP
address of the sending host. Which would block joe-jobs unless the
spammer listed his entire network of hijacked machines in his MX record
(which would be handy for anti-spam people!)

The idea still isn't great IMO -- too easy for spammers who aren't using
Joe-jobs to set up legitimate-looking MXs -- but if you interpret it
this way it's not quite as bad.

-Steve