[Greylist-users] some comments on spamd

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 1 04:39:01 PDT 2005

At 05:46 PM 5/31/05, Steven Grimm wrote:

>Eric Brunson wrote:
>
>>Hmmm, whitelisting AOL? I think I'd rather put a sharp stick in my eye. ;-)
>
>AOL's servers retry on temporary failures, so what difference does it
>make? If you whitelist their servers you won't get any more or fewer
>messages than if you greylist them, yes?

Not quite.  If you do not whitelist AOL, you'll get fewer messages from
them.  The "common pool" note beside the AOL entries indicates that AOL
uses SMTP server pools for retries.  The retry is not sent from the same
SMTP server as the original try was sent from.  Without AOL on your
whitelist, greylisting will cause AOL to eventually give up trying to send
the message because greylisting expects ip address to be the same on retries.

Frank