[Greylist-users] another reason to hate challenge response

Christopher Baker chris at chrisbaker.net
Sat Jun 11 14:31:51 PDT 2005

Today I got my first of five what you may call "challenge-response spams."
I got five of them, basically at the same time from the same address.

By now, we are all probably familiar with virus scanner spams. These are
messages sent by virus scanners automatically which say: "You sent us a
virus. Your message has not been delivered." It seems as though the
virus scanner companies got wise to this problem. I don't see many of
those anymore.

Challenge-response spams are easily the best reason not to use challenge
response as a method for combatting spam. Perhaps, many users and other
companies will get wise to this. Challenge-response has always been a
bad idea. Hopefully, this will kill it.

Chris

"Ultimately, education is about our connection to the universe, our
place in it The bigger that connection, the bigger our lives and
dreams. Through what we undertake to know and understand,
we can be as immense as the milky way--glorious indeed."
--Grace Llewellyn, _Teenage Liberation Handbook_
Chris Baker -- www.chrisbaker.net
chris at chrisbaker.net, chrisbaker at iname.com
"When you stop growing, you start dying."