[Greylist-users] recommendations for dual MX system?

Christian Rice xian at tippett.com
Mon May 2 10:16:12 PDT 2005

I use greylist-milter prior to mimedefang/spamassassin.  It's nice to
keep them separate, as the config files aren't so damn complicated.
It's really a chore to upgrade all that stuff without breaking mail...

I have two mx servers (pref=10 and pref=20), so the lower score mx
handles most of the real traffic, and the higher score handles much of
the pure spam.  Why?  Because spammers expect you'll do a better job on
your primary, and any honorable mail server would naturally send to the
primary when everything's working correctly.  Spamware is smart enough
to try the back door.

greylist-milter doesn't use a mysql database--it keeps the triplets in
memory, but writes out a database file every so often.  It is very
configurable, and quite simple to set up.  It supports syncronizing
between MX hosts for the greylist database.  It also supports loose
matches for mail farms (like google, amazon, yahoo and anyone else that
has a zillion bucks).  Remember that greylisting is to catch the
spamware that doesn't resend.  Spammers on AOL and yahoo get the benefit
of mail farms that will resend.

Does that sound like what you want?

PS Beware the greylist databases that use PERL DB_File from within
mimedefang (or otherwise).  My experience has been that the on disk
database becomes corrupt after a period of time, and everything ends up
getting tempfailed.