[Greylist-users] Why is there a punctuation "rule" ?

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 22 14:03:55 PST 2006

It's not a bug so much as a feature... :)

Actually, I knew the characters are allowed for the spec, I had just never
seen them used in anything but spam.  Many spammers seem to do wierd things
to their from addresses (like having leading or trailing spaces or extra
uncommon punctuation) that real mailers have trouble handling when you try
to bounce undelivered messages back.  So I included a rule to filter them
out so secondary mx's never have to deal with them in the first place.

If you want to disable these and other address formatting checks, just
change $check_envelope_address_format to equal zero in your config.

Evan