[Greylist-users] Database performance

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Thu Jan 5 11:16:13 PST 2006

Brian,

I did some experimenting.  If instead of :

REPLACE INTO relayreport SELECT * FROM relaytofrom;
# which for me on 500,000 rows going into 2.5 M rows, takes 3.5 minutes

We do a little more work:

ONCE - create a table (temp_archive) idenitcal to relayreport, BUT with NO indexes

Then in db_maintenance.pl we :

INSERT INTO temp_archive SELECT * FROM relaytofrom;
# which for me on 500,000 rows take 3.5 SECONDS

REPLACE INTO relayreport SELECT * FROM temp_archive;
DELETE FROM temp_archive;

Then the whole process takes about 2% longer, But the relaytofrom table
is only locked for 2% of said runtime instead of 100%.

I've attached the experimental benchmarking I did.

Wayne