[Greylist-users] machine gun

Barb Dijker barb at netrack.net
Fri Jan 20 13:08:09 PST 2006

We are starting to see more machine gun spammers.  For example,
yesterday youngexplorerscatalog.net attempted to send a message to a
single recipient once per second until greylisting allowed the message.

I'm thinking about a hook to set a threshold for promoting a mail
server to automatic temporary BL.  I've been doing this manually when
we get hammered.  But it is happening too often anymore.  Has anyone
done this already?  Suggestions?

A quick peruse of the database shows a small handful of legitimate
mail that appears to be using the machine gun approach, e.g.,  mail
(really) from ebay that was blocked 80 or 90 times before being
passed once.  Blackberry.com does it pretty regularly.  An att.net
outgoing server hit almost once a second.  This sort of thing is
killer to the server with just the connection overhead.  Our delay is
only 4 minutes.  So if a triple has been blocked more than 48 times,
it is trying more frequently than once ever 5 seconds.  That seems
excessive.

Barb Dijker x100
Netrack, 3080 Valmont Rd Ste 200, Boulder CO 80301
+1.303.938.0188, toll free +1.888.9Netrack, fax +1.303.938.0177
www.netrack.net