[Greylist-users] Exploring Greylisting - Initial Block Time

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Thu Mar 2 13:13:00 PST 2006

Glad you asked before you went live.  I am now around 55 seconds for mine
and most folks that I asked said 1-3 minutes. One of my customers is running
5 on their server. I started with the nearly one hour default and ran that
way for a bit - until I asked the list what to run.

What I have found from studying the logs - most SPAMmers never retry so you
have 100% success blocking those, a few retry a bunch right away (within
seconds of the first hit) - any setting longer than 30-40 seconds gets
those, almost NONE that I ever saw that would retry after 1 minute would
give up before 1 hour.  So setting it longer than a minute or two is going
to block almost 0 SPAM and just going to delay the good mail for longer.

Most mail servers seem to retry after 1 minute (or at 30 seconds and 1
minute) so setting it for under 1 minute gets the mail on the 2nd or 3rd
try.

Dennis

===== Original Message from greylist-users at lists.puremagic.com (Greylisting
Users and Developers Discuss) at 3/02/06 1:54 pm