[Greylist-users] An approach for reducing mail loss with greylisting

Gaal Yahas gaal at forum2.org
Sun Nov 12 05:49:27 PST 2006

Hello,

In discussing greylisting with friends, one of them who was worried
about possible mail loss because of sucky sender MTAs proposed the
following:

   How about failing the transaction at the very last moment, after
   we get the whole message (assuming there's only one, which is by
   far the most common case)? Then, if after X hours we don't see the
   same UID again, we *do* deliver the refused message, but mark it as
   to decide the implications.

   That should work nicely, nay? Greatly diminished chances of mail loss,
   plus a chance to autotrain your spam filters, and you still get the
   benefit of getting yourself off spammers' lists.

It's kinda kinky to report rejecting a message that you're delivering
anyway, but it does look like this makes sense. Only problem is that it
might be hard to implement. Has anyone seen it done?

--
Gaal Yahas <gaal at forum2.org>
http://gaal.livejournal.com/