[Greylist-users] Important emails are delayed by up to fou

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Sat Mar 3 11:12:00 PST 2007

That is one of the downsides to using greylisting.  I had to "fight" over this
as well since my bosses thought that e-mail was something that always went
through and did so right away. In fact, if your Internet connection is down or
your mail server is down you will never see mail from folks who do not retry
the send.

What I ended up doing was producing a daily report showing any mail that
bounced (had passed count = 0) so everyone could look it over. If they saw
something, like AA or SWA servers that retried on different IP and/or with
different mail from then we white listed them. Any customer servers got white
listed as well.

To make this more immediately available, I got some php code from a list
member here and put up a web page the users could check at any time so each
user could see his/her bounced mail. In the case where there was something
important coming in and they saw it on the real time php page, they simply
asked the sender to send it again. If the other end sends a message twice and
it is within the "window" (in my case > 1 min < 5 hours) then the 2nd message
is taken as the retry and goes right through. Whenever their mail server
retries, you get the first send message.

You could also work with your users to produce a list of their valid contacts,
check the current IPs in your mail server, and pre-white list them before you
put up grey list.  I wanted the system to work this out for itself, so I did
not bother but if you choice is "don't miss a single important e-mail or don't
put up grey list" then I would do that.

Dennis

(chuck.amadi at rokcorp.com, Greylisting Use) =====