[Greylist-users] Blacklisting an IP - outside of Greylist

Dennis Wynne DWYNNE at equinoxis.com
Wed Mar 28 07:02:00 PDT 2007

We have one IP that is really hitting on us, the blocked count in the
greylist database shows 32,552 blocks since I blacklisted them.

One message snuck through this morning, they hit us so often that during the
time the daily stop/start of the script was going on the message snuck
through.

To avoid having to look this number up over and over in the database all day
and have any mail sneak by in case the script is down for any reason, I want
to block this IP at the earliest or best spot (lease overhead for my system)
that I can.

Thoughts:

1) I can put it in the access sendmail "database" with an entry like:

Connect:1.1.1.1           REJECT

2) I can add them to the iptables "firewall" with something like this:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -d 1.1.1.1 -j REJECT

3) I could get them listed on one of the real-time black lists I use - they
currently are not listed. This seems the least sure and still has high
overhead, I would think.

Any other options?

Thanks!
Dennis