[Greylist-users] Fwd: Re: idea: mis use temporary errors

Hector Santos hsantos at isdg.net
Mon May 28 12:43:14 PDT 2007

RBR,

This is not a good idea.   By sending a 41x which by way should be 45x,
you are imposing penalties on legitimate senders by telling them they
will never make into the system even after a correction is made.

Plus you are making erroneous presumptions about how systems have their
RETRY frequencies configured.

Commercial Systems are "adjusting" to GREYLISTED transactions by
changing their 2nd and 3rd attempts.  In other words, while the basic
rule of thumb (RFC 2821 suggestions) is 1 per hour for 4-5 days,  some
systems are now making the 2nd and 3rd attempt with in 1 to 5 minutes in
order to address initial GreyList rejections.  These are the kinds of
ideas that is making "GreyListing" more adoptable in commercial
environments.

Anyway, you should not alter SMTP current practices with ideas like
this.  As long as it is isolated to small systems, who cares?  but it
wouldn't apply in the general case.

My opinion on this.

--
HLS