[Greylist-users] Is it Possible to NOT use client_ip?

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Thu Nov 29 14:32:45 PST 2007

It was thus said that the Great Rob Morin once stated:
> My first post to this list, please be gentle...    :)
>
> Is it possible to NOT consider the client_ip when using postgrey?
>
> My problem is we just switched to load balancing and the incoming emails
> always seem like they come from the same IP address....
>
> Would postgrey still be useful if it checked only the to and from ?

  Using my own greylist implementation [1], I ran two tests over 565,012
tuples [2].  The first one used the full [IP,sender,recipient] tuple using a
1s embargo timeout (otherwise, using realistic values and timings such a
test would take a few days):

	Start: Thu Nov 29 17:08:21 2007
	End: Thu Nov 29 17:10:59 2007
	Running time: 2m 38s

	Requests:                   565012

	Tuples:                     499846
	Graylisted:                 499846
	Graylisted-Expired:              0
	Whitelisted:                  6945
	Whitelisted-Expired:             0

  Rerunning to ignore the IP address, but otherwise unchanged from the
previous run:

	Start: Thu Nov 29 17:16:21 2007
	End: Thu Nov 29 17:19:23 2007
	Running time: 3m 2s

	Requests:                   565012

	Tuples:                     499846
	Graylisted:                 499846
	Graylisted-Expired:              0
	Whitelisted:                  6957
	Whitelisted-Expired:             0

  A few more, so it appears that you might be able to skip the IP address.

  -spc (Hope this helps some)

[1]	http://www.x-grey.com/

[2]	Actual tuples seen on production servers while developing X-Grey.