[Greylist-users] Getting greylisting going on a new Debian

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Tue Jul 1 12:41:44 PDT 2008

Sean Conner wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz once stated:
>> Sean Conner wrote:

>> Sorry but, IMHO, the problem here isn't sendmail, but linux threads.
>
>   The problem *is* sendmail, or at least, the milter library, which is a
> part of sendmail, using pthreads when (personally) I don't see the actual
> need for it (for instance, the Postfix interface doesn't require threading).
>
>   -spc (And if the protocol used between sendmail and milter were
> 	documented, I would scrap the use of milter entirely, but alas,
> 	the protocol isn't documented, and *that* fact *is* documented)

As long as this isn't the place to discuss these points and I don't believe
we can't agree on it, I stop discussion.

But I can point you some links (found with google) :

* A description of milter protocol. Not up to date, but near valid.

   http://search.cpan.org/src/AVAR/Sendmail-PMilter-0.96/doc/milter-protocol.txt

* libmilter/engine.c (from sendmail distribution), is the file with all code
   implementing the libmilter protocol (around 1700 lines long) on libmilter
   side

* sendmail/milter.c (from sendmail distribution) is the file implementing
   libmilter protocol on sendmail side.

* you'll also find inside postfix, the code used by postfix to implement
   the protocol, on postfix side

* Open software are very interesting as they allow you to get info on how
   to use them and improve them. Other sendmail/libmilter and posftix, you
   can find interesting information on how to create the libmilter side code
   to perform as you think it shall be done. Other interesting pointers are
   (people doing or had done that)

     http://sourceforge.net/projects/pmilter/
     http://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/mailfromd/

Best regards