[Greylist-users] Getting greylisting going on a new Debian

Sean Conner sean at conman.org
Fri Jun 27 20:14:38 PDT 2008

It was thus said that the Great Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz once stated:
> Sean Conner wrote:
>
> >  The problem I had with milter is the sheer amount of memory it consumes
> >(at least under CentOS, a Linux distribution).  [1].  And with that under
> >control, there also seems to be some issues with a high system load (I work
> >for a small webhosting company, and we were getting a ton of spam).
>
> Hmmm. Threads under linux ... They eat memory. Other OSs (Solaris,
> FreeBSD) do it better.

  Tracking that down took quite a bit of investigation and it involved a
trip through the source code for pthreads under Linux.

> But hopefully there are solutions to this problem. If you're running
> sendmail 8.14.x, you can compile it with _FFR_WORKERS_POOL option enabled.

  Well, I basically ended up doing a "ulimit -s" [1] and that seems to have
sovled for the most part the memory issues (did have to keep tweaking the
value between "uses too much" and "too little it crashes").

  -spc (Wishes we could use Postfix at The Office though ... )

[1]	Basically, the program does a setrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK), then exec()s
	itself again, because the pthread initialization happens before
	the setrlimit() call.