[MudWalker] Several suggestions.

Sune Foldager cryo
Sun Oct 16 05:00:25 PDT 2005

Greetings list.

I just subscribed a few mins ago, because I have some feature
suggestions in particular wrt. the scripting system.

1. Firstly, the editing window for triggers and aliases is very
small. This is probably fine for simple things, but for more advanced
scripting, it gets rather annoying to have to scroll all the time.
Also, the width is far too small. A bigger window, a pop-up window
for editing or even an external editor command could be useful here :-).

2. I greatly miss the possibility of "reaching" Lua from the "command
line", i.e. from the normal mud input window. It would seem natural
to be able to type something like: @@foo = 12   to do the same as
that line would do if put in a trigger or alias. In particular,
reading out variables is a tedious process now, requirering one to
make an alias.

3. I would very much like to be able to reach aliases from inside
other aliases and triggers. Currently, I can use 'send' to send data
to the mud, but it would be nice if there was a way to inject data as
if it came through the input window.

4. I would like commands to turn settings (aliases, triggers,
others..) on and off with commands, and in connection with this have
a "short name" assigned to each setting (that the user picks), used
to control it. So a command could look like   on
("name_of_setting");    or similar.

5. This is a bit more involved, but I propose a more elaborate
structure for settings such as aliases and triggers (this was
inspired by zMUD on Windows, although zMUD has many flaws in its
implementation IMO):

There should then be a hierachy or "file structure" creatable and
maintainable by the user. The user can create 'folders' and 'sub
folders', and folders can contain settings such as trigger, aliases,
variables and maybe more. In a way acting like objects. Like triggers
and alises and other settings, folders can be turned off and on, and
this will have the obvious effect on its contents.

With this system, grouping related settings serving a purpose in a
folder is possible, and turning the entire thing on and off is easy.
Sub-folders, then, can be used for more advanced purposes.

Per default, settings are created at the root level, which is always
on. To use this system, the user creates sub folder and puts settings
in them. All aliases inside a folder that is enabled, can be
activated from the command line, and all triggers in an enabled
folder would be checked against input.

If any or all of the above has been suggested before, I apologize in
advance. I'd very much like to hear comments :-).

-- Sune Foldager.