[phobos] [Fwd: Network in phobos]

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Wed Apr 7 18:32:02 PDT 2010

[Context: the tail of an exchange between Adam Ruppe and myself. You may
want to chime in with thoughts regarding admission of code into Phobos.]

On 04/01/2010 09:33 AM, Adam Ruppe wrote:
> Yes, that'd be very cool!

Sorry for being slow on this. Great! Please send me your username and
I'll add it to Phobos.

> Do you guys have a guide as to what goes in and what doesn't? I lot of
> the stuff I write is "hey, look what I hacked up over the weekend. It
> works for me!" - I assume phobos should be held to a higher standard
> than that, but where is the line?

We don't have a formal set of guidelines, and unfortunately there is no
mechanism in place to do code reviews before they are checked in. (See
my other email.)

There is some code in Phobos that I'm not very fond of (streams) and
some code that is well-intended but just "not there" (std.encoding).
There's some good code that doesn't conform almost at all with the
prevalent Phobos style (std.json).

> There's two levels to this question too: what kind of functionality is
> in and what is out, and also what kind of sloppiness is out? For
> example, this code is only set for Linux - before committing, should I
> test on Windows, or is a "this is linux only for now" function ok too?

I think it's ok to implement something only on one OS initially. It has
happened before, and it's actually beneficial because people get
encouraged to submit their own port.