[phobos] Tango and the new time lib

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Wed Apr 28 19:38:44 PDT 2010

One of the Tango developers called me today. There are 5 developers of
the Tango time library, and they feel that the Phobos time lib
submission is close enough to theirs to be considered an infringement on
their license. The Tango license is the BSD license, which does not
permit others changing the license, such as to Boost which is the Phobos
license.

I am not qualified to compare the two source code bases and make a legal
determination if there is infringement or not. And quite frankly, I
don't want to split legal hairs about it against the Tango developers'
wishes. I've invited the Tango devs to subscribe to this mailing list,
and I hope we can come to a resolution:

1. I think the best solution would be for Tango to relicense the time
module under the Boost license, which would require the agreement of the
five time module developers. Then, the Phobos version would include them
as authors and they'd share in the copyright.

2. Next would be if the Tango developers who do agree to the Boost
license would identify their contributions, those would get authorship &
copyright credit, etc. Tango developers who do not agree would identify
code they consider infringing, and that code would be removed from the
Phobos version, and possibly reimplemented by someone who has not looked
at the Tango version.

The bottom line is the Tango devs should get the final say on what is
infringing and what isn't, and we won't relicense infringing code into
Phobos without their explicit permission.