[phobos] Tango and the new time lib

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 08:13:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <
lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:

> So that leaves the code.  Unless SHOO has copy-pasted the code from
> Tango, I cannot see how their claim holds any water.  There are only so
> many ways to figure out which day of the month it is.
>
> -Lars

Very good point.  I agree that we don't want to resort to splitting legal
hairs, but the relevant test is the abstraction-filtration-comparison test.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstraction-Filtration-Comparison_test)

Basically, this says that, since copyright protects only the expression of
an idea, not the idea itself, if two programs do something the same way
because that's the only reasonable way to do it then there's no
infringement.