[phobos] Tango and the new time lib

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:12:57 PDT 2010

On 29 April 2010 13:35, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:
> On 4/29/10 07:19, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> Years ago, the lawyers told me that "I've never looked at that source
>> code" is an effective defense for parallel evolution. Things get a lot
>> harder if one has. That's why I never look at, say, the gcc source code.
>>
>> What I'd really like to see is Tango move to the Boost license as well.
>> This will eliminate this regrettable problem of incompatible licenses,
>> which is holding D back. The "two standard libraries" comes up every
>> single time D gets mentioned in other forums, and it's a convenient
>> excuse people use for not looking further at D.
>
> These two links discuss a possible change of the Tango license:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/forums/topic/786
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/ticket/1701

Yeah, that's my ticket. And that's not the original title. When they
changed the title of it, I gave up any hope. (And I stopped
contributing anything to Tango, other than bugfixes).
And that ridiculous forum discussion, where they say about how Phobos
changed the license without consulting them -- 100% of the public
discussion about the license happened on the newsgroup.