[phobos] FFT

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Tue Aug 3 21:08:31 PDT 2010

On 08/03/2010 11:01 PM, David Simcha wrote:
> Ok, I've got some more optimizations.  I figured out that it's worth
> trading off some space to make the sin/cos lookup tables be in
> contiguous memory blocks for all sub-FFTs. I'm now down to ~340 ms on my
> benchmark, but fresh out of optimization ideas.

I meant to say this after your previous post: function tabulation is not
all. What people do is they approximate functions with a few of their
Taylor expansion terms, often in conjunction with tables.

For my thesis I needed a fast tanh. I dug up a paper that had some weird
formulas depending on the magnitude of the argument. I first built a
table and then I interpolated using the formulas in between the table
elements. It was a smashing success.

Google for <<fast sine approximation>> or so, there seems to be plenty
of good stuff out there.