[phobos] Removing std.stdio.File.popen()

Shin Fujishiro rsinfu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:53:49 PDT 2010

Lars Tandle Kyllingstad <lars at kyllingen.net> wrote:
> 2. Steve and I have been working on a new version of std.process, which
> will at some point, hopefully, obviate the need for popen().  See
> pipeProcess() here:
>
>   http://www.kyllingen.net/code/ltk/doc/process.html

I'm looking forward to seeing the result! :-)

> The POSIX implementation is more or less complete, but its inclusion in
> Phobos is currently being blocked by bug 3979.  Also, Steve has run into
> some very tricky issues with pipes on Windows, fundamentally caused by
> D's dependence on the DMC runtime.  I don't know how (or if) that is
> working out.

Will the new std.process use C stdio?

I think dependency to FILE* should be minimized, as C stdio has several
issues (wide oriented streams, poor bidirectional buffering, etc...).
IMHO using FILE* just for the sake of buffering is not a very good idea.

Shin