[phobos] Removing std.stdio.File.popen()

Lars Tandle Kyllingstad lars at kyllingen.net
Wed Aug 18 01:17:49 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 23:46 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> It doesn't matter how often it's used internally, but instead how often
> it's used by programs. I use it and find it very useful. We should move
> toward fixing it and porting it to other OSs. Replacing with the more
> comprehensive solution that's being discussed is of course another option.

Not only is it an option, it seems to be a lot more imminent than I
thought.  If we can get Rainer's patch for bug 3979 into the next
release, I'm guessing we can have a revamped std.process by the release
following that.

> Incidentally a colleague of mine mentioned today a much faster
> implementation of popen():
>
> http://blog.famzah.net/2009/11/20/a-much-faster-popen-and-system-implementation-for-linux/
>
> http://code.google.com/p/popen-noshell/
>
> We should get that in Phobos.

This is very useful information!  I'll see if this can be incorporated
in the new std.process.

-Lars