[phobos] std.msgpack

Masahiro Nakagawa repeatedly at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:14:10 PDT 2010

Sorry. I don't know why, but I sent this post to Andrei directly :(

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:57:15 +0900, Andrei Alexandrescu
<andrei at erdani.com> wrote:

> I think a solid serialization mechanism is vital for communicating data
> across threads effectively.

I agree.

> MessagePack is a solid binary offering, but it doesn't offer the upper
> layers needed for a complete serialization solution. As it stands, it is
> a good transport mechanism. I confess, however, I wished we adopted a
> more widely used binary protocol such as Thrift.

What are the upper layers? IDL?
If so, the RPC of MessagePack supports Thrift-compatible IDL.

The serialization of MessagePack doesn't depend on IDL or schema.
This way is the usable for stand-alone serialization.
(Avro, BERT, BSON are similar mechanism).

> Anyway, I don't see why MessagePack could not be one of the available
> transport mechanisms in a wider serialization library that has pluggable
> transports.

I don't know the detail, but he(msgpack author) wanted the
high-performance RPC framework.
Unfortunately, existing frameworks falled short of his requirements.

Masahiro