[phobos] Upping the number of bugzilla votes from 10 to 100

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Dec 8 15:25:33 PST 2010

On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 15:03:43 Brad Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010, Brad Roberts wrote:
> > I don't think we have concensus (or even a majority) that suggests moving
> > forward.  I think it does do harm.  I think it suggests that we pay
> > attention to votes, when reality suggests more strongly that we don't.
> >
> > Fix the behavior first, imho.
>
> Summary so far:
>
> yes
>  Andrei Alexandrescu
>
> alternate suggestion
>  David Simcha
>
> no
>  Brad Roberts
>  Jesse Phillips
>  Steve Schveighoffer
>  Don Clugston

I definitely like the idea of increasing the number of votes and making it
possible to apply multiple votes to a bug. I definitely have more than 10 bugs
that I'd like to vote on. But I do agree that there's little evidence that
highly voted bugs get fixed. I don't think that I've ever had a bug that I've
voted on fixed. And if the votes don't actually mean anything, then I'm not sure
that there's much point in using them.

So, I like the idea of increasing the vote count, but if it doesn't affect what
gets fixed, then perhaps it would be better to just get rid of the voting
entirely. Based on votes, I would have expected stuff like the fact that Object
isn't const-correct to have been fixed ages ago. But there are a number of bugs
which have been around for quite a while which have a number of votes on them
and yet never get fiixed.