[phobos] Makefile

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Thu Feb 18 07:26:45 PST 2010

I'm rewriting the Linux makefile. The existing one works well and is
small, but Walter complained about it being impenetrable and I agree. It
uses weird string expansions and stuff.

Back when I wrote it that was the only method I could find to avoid
repeating a lot of stuff for all OSs, builds, unittests, etc. Recently,
inspired by Walter, I decided to go with a different approach that
relies on recursive make invocations. That simplifies matters
drastically: no more string expansions, no more '$$', no more crap.

By this I'm asking you what you'd like to see in the makefile. What are
the builds that you need and use, and what builds you'd like to use that
aren't there?