[phobos] [Fwd: "Unsigned-related bugs never occur in real code."]

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 21 00:18:20 PST 2010

2010/1/21 Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>:
> My first inclination would be for abs to only accept signed values.  Unsigned values don't really seem appropriate for unchecked math operations.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to take the absolute value of something
which doesn't have a sign. With range checking, it ought to be
possible to implicitly cast from uint to int, which would allow all of
the sensible uses. Unfortunately, implicit casting and templates don't
interact well. So I think abs() might need to go back to being a
non-template function.