[phobos] Calling abort() on unhandled exception

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 30 18:02:48 PDT 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> It's not that I want. It's an important use of the language. You could argue
> that D should not attempt to attempt scripting, but I think it should. That
> implies an ability to write short programs that do useful things.
>

> Andrei

It's worth noting that you're changing the definition of the language away
from it's a Systems Programming language and using that as an argument to
change behavior.

I don't disagree with the desire to make short simple apps easy to both
write and read.  I'm not sure I agree with the requirement to not emit
anything but the exception's message on an escaping exception.

I've never, in any language that I've used that has exceptions --
admitedly not many, considered exceptions to be part of the user of the
apps experience.  They're internal mechanisms.

That said, D has upturned a lot of older thinking and styles, and this
might well be one of the ones worth changing.  I'm not convinced yet.

Later,
Brad