[phobos] std.all

Don Clugston dclugston at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:33:22 PDT 2010

On 8 June 2010 22:18, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> Actually I've generated std.all myself and experimented with it
>> (attached). The parse time with rdmd is larger than with individual modules,
>> but not annoying.
>>

> The parse time will invariably grow as phobos grows. I expect std.all will
> become the preferred method of using D. The problems are:
>
> 1. People will come to expect std.all to have everything and the kitchen
> sink in it, so we're stuck.
>
> 2. People will inevitably do compile speed benchmarks with std.all. And then
> we'll suck.
>
> So I say "no" to std.all.

I don't think anybody really wants 'all'. You want 'the commonly-used
stuff'. Which in Phobos right now would probably be about 15 modules,
but wouldn't get much bigger no matter how big Phobos gets.
When Sean started Ares (became Tango, became druntime) we used core.d
for that purpose (instead of all.d). Of course now a different name
would be required.