[phobos] std.all

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Tue Jun 8 13:34:24 PDT 2010

On 06/08/2010 03:18 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Actually I've generated std.all myself and experimented with it
>> (attached). The parse time with rdmd is larger than with individual
>> modules, but not annoying.
>>

> The parse time will invariably grow as phobos grows. I expect std.all
> will become the preferred method of using D. The problems are:
>
> 1. People will come to expect std.all to have everything and the kitchen
> sink in it, so we're stuck.
>
> 2. People will inevitably do compile speed benchmarks with std.all. And
> then we'll suck.
>
> So I say "no" to std.all.

I think there's no reason to become agitated. I measured compile time
with three imports and with std.all. The compile time with three imports
is 0.44s, and with std.all it's 0.82s. So we're talking about a very
small margin: 380ms.

Even if Phobos doubles in size (!), we're looking at meager increases in
compile time.

Also, let's not do the mistake of just taking one aspect of the problem
into account. std.all does have huge advantages, and the fact that we
can afford it will be noted and appreciated.