[phobos] std.all

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:42:36 PDT 2010

On 6/8/10, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com> wrote:
> I think there's no reason to become agitated. I measured compile time
> with three imports and with std.all. The compile time with three imports
> is 0.44s, and with std.all it's 0.82s.

Curious, what were the three imports? Anecdotally, I find that D2
compiles just about as fast as D1 (that is, virtually instantly),
until I import std.stdio. Then, it slows down quite a bit. Still kicks
the socks off any other compiler out there, but comparatively slow.

No other module seems to have as much of an impact as stdio - if this
is actually true, and not just me, the speed difference between
std.all, std.common, or just std.stdio itself may all be fairly
negligible, so separating them for speed purposes could be futile.

> std.all does have huge advantages, and the fact that we
> can afford it will be noted and appreciated.

It is quite nice with rdmd indeed.