[phobos] phobos commit, revision 1689

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Wed Jun 23 09:07:15 PDT 2010

On 06/23/2010 10:59 AM, Max Samukha wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com
> <mailto:andrei at erdani.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think it should be a property. I followed the convention that
>     stuff that doesn't change "this" is a property.
>
>     Andrei
>

> But property setters are often supposed to change 'this'?

Well of course I was referring to getters.

> Honestly I can
> hardly see much utility in @property. For example, Q_PROPERTY in Qt adds
> value. It is introspectable, can fire a notification when changed,
> optionally shows up in the designer, is resettable to a default value
> and more. Is @property only useful for disambiguating the case when a
> function returns a callable?

On the same grounds, I opposed @property tooth and nail and now,
unpleasantly enough, my worst scares are coming true: @property is a
non-falsifiable sham, a convention defined for the sake of following it.
I strongly believe the alternatives I proposed would have been vastly
better.