[phobos] Makefile

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Mon Mar 8 08:46:23 PST 2010

Sean Kelly wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> David Simcha wrote:
>>> I basically flunked the build processes course and I don't
>>> actually know Make.  My success rate compiling software on Linux
>>> is well under 50%.  I loved the old make file because it required
>>> no configuration, etc. and everything always worked.  My biggest
>>> concern is that, for new school programmers that don't use
>>> makefiles in their own projects and don't know how to fix them if
>>> something goes wrong, the build process needs to Just Work (TM)
>>> without any tweaking.  I frankly don't care how messy it is under
>>> the hood.
>> I agree with everything you say, except the last sentence.
>
> Same.  I'd rather have something easily maintainable but verbose vs.
> something terse and impenetrable.  The problem with the old old
> makefile is that any change had to be done in 3 places.  I just
> couldn't make sense of the new one.

Agreed. The new makefile (written by me) passes perfectly at Don't
Repeat Yourself and can do quite a lot of stuff, but has become very
difficult to look at.

But some pain is gain. That experience led to a better makefile that I
will finalize soon. That is at the same time easy to understand and
non-redundant.