[phobos] std.process Windows blocker

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Tue May 4 14:28:39 PDT 2010

David Simcha wrote:

>     No. Standard C does not cover an ABI.
>

> I realize that there is no /de jure/ standard C ABI, but I thought on
> most operating systems/CPU architecture combinations there is a /de
> facto/ one.

There isn't one on Windows.

Even on the Linux/FreeBSD/OSX ports, you'll see a lot of variation.
Heck, even the change from OSX 10.4 to 10.5 broke binary compatibility,
then again from 10.5 to 10.6.

We try to hide a lot of this from D users of Phobos, but it's there in
the implementation of Phobos and the code generated by the compiler.