[phobos] Fwd: Re: Ruling out arbitrary cost copy construction?

David Simcha dsimcha at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 08:15:03 PDT 2010

One other benefit atomic reference counting would have is that it would
allow sharing of reference counted data structures across threads without
worrying about invisible race conditions caused by the reference counting.
Furthermore, you could still pass by reference and use similar tricks to
avoid the overhead of the atomic reference counting just like you would for
an object with arbitrarily expensive copying.  You just wouldn't have to
bend over backwards to avoid it.