[phobos] Community shout-out?

Masahiro Nakagawa repeatedly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 01:06:24 PST 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 03:18:17 +0900, SHOO <zan77137 at nifty.com> wrote:

> I don't know it about this matter so deeply. Perhaps you are
> understanding it more precisely than me. This will be preaching to the
> choir...
>
> Nakagawa Masahiro did porting of MessagePack to D.
> This module is aimed for serialization and can convert data structure
> with character string mutually.
> The main purpose of serialization of MessagePack is to hand data beyond
> programs and development languages.
> And it is std.event to offer mechanism about the communication of the
> data which transcended programs/processes.

I think the review of std.msgpack is done.
But I will replace MPObject implementation with std.variant before adding
to Phobos.
Unfortunately, this progress is stopped because This[strng] causes
compilation error :(

As an aside, I have very interesting ticket in Cassandra ITS.

I think std.event is very important module.
The RPC part of std.msgpack and the interprocess communication of
std.concurrency require std.event.
IIRC, someone suggested libev and libev wrapper in this ML.
But, I don't know the current status of std.event.

As I've said before, new std.socket doesn't provide select function.

> Alternatively, there is a serialization library called Orange.
> The main purpose of serialization of Orange is a save and the
> reconstruction of the object which transcended thread and time on the
> same program.

Yeah. Orange is a good candidate for std.serialization as language
specific serialization.

> Because these are different in a purpose definitely, I think that it is
> good that both with good interface are included in Phobos.

I agree.