[phobos] datetime review

Steve Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 18:04:03 PDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
> What's really annoying  is when you want to create a range which iterates over

> time points which are  apart by some combination of years, months, and smaller

> units. Before, you  could just give the function something like Dur.years(5) +

> Dur.months(1) +  Dur.days(2) and it would produce a function which gave you a
> time point 5  years, 1 month, and 2 days after the previous one. But without
> MonthDuration  or JointDuration, that becomes much more awkward. I'm still
> ironing out the  best way to deal with the function signature for that.

If that's all it is then why can't you specify both a month term and a Duration
term to the range constructor:

// range takes a Duration, and optional Months type (wrapper for N months for
the type system).
auto r = myInterval.range(days(2), years(5) + months(1));

Yes it looks a bit awkward, but it's a very specific need, and not a very common
one (IMO).

-Steve