[phobos] core.demangle replacing std.demangle?

Benjamin Shropshire benjamin at precisionsoftware.us
Fri Sep 10 20:17:49 PDT 2010

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday 10 September 2010 19:02:53 Benjamin Shropshire wrote:
>
>> OTOH, anything that is that long is going to be
>> ugly even if you could de-mangle it.
>>

> True, but templates can get pretty long and ugly (even if they're not quite as
> bad in D since you don't have allocators and whatnot), and sometimes you need to
> see what they look like. Now, for a stack trace, you probably don't nee to see
> what the _exact_ type is once it gets that long and nasty - you can probably
> figure out which function is meant just fine - but for other uses, it could be a
> bit annoying to not have long template types completely demangled.

Maybe the standard should define the "base" mangling and then say
something to the effect of: if the mangled name can't be stored in the
target object file format it must be compressed or, if it is not
compressible enough, hashed in a consistent way so as to fit. If
information is lost, the implementation should do so in a way that allow
the recovery of enough information to make debugging practical, e.g. by
storing the beginning of the name followed by it's hash or my placing a
map from hashed symbol names to full symbol names in the debug section.