[phobos] build failure in std.file

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at erdani.com
Tue Sep 14 07:57:50 PDT 2010

On 09/14/2010 02:21 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Thanks! I updated, but the compile failure persists:
>
> H:\mars\phobos>..\dmd -c std\file.d
> std\algorithm.d(3200): Error: cast(string)_param_1 is not an lvalue

I assumed it must be the new compiler's changes in typechecking, but I
just got the latest compiler, copied it over the older one, then:

make -f posix.mak clean
make -f posix.mak unittest

and it all worked.

FWIW, line 3200 is std/algorithm is:

endsWith(alias pred = "a == b", Range, Ranges...)

I assume it must be a Windows-specific error, but I can't check because
I don't have a recent dmd.exe. Walter, could you please email me one?
Don't forget to rename the extension.

One conclusion for the future is that we need to be able to build dmd on
wine. That way we all get to build on wine using the latest compiler.