[phobos] next release (module useability)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Sep 14 09:57:44 PDT 2010

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 09:19:03 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> > /* The reason of this question is because there was the doubt why naming
> > it is WAG for of the module of Phobos before in Japanese community. (The
> > subject at that time was "Why are std.file and std.path separated?") */
>
> It's a good point. The distinction between manipulating file names and
> file contents is valid, but academic. For scripts, you'd need to import
> both files most of the time anyway. What does WAG mean?
>
> I think consolidating std.path and std.file into std.file would mark
> progress.

Whereas I would argue that the distinction is a good one and that they should
remain separate. Of course, if you're pretty much always going to use std.file if
you use std.path, then it doesn't really gain much (other than making the docs
easier to read) no matter how good a separation it is conceptually. Of course,
you could use std.stdio for doing file stuff and use std.path with it, skipping
std.file entirely, but that's more of an oddity of File living in std.stdio
(presumably because stdin and stdout are Files) than because std.path and
std.file don't generally get used together (since they likely do).

So, I'd tend to prefer that std.path and std.file be separate, but I can
understand why someone would think it better for their functionality to be in
one module.